Saturday, December 27, 2014

Church Platform Design, Tree Stumps

My husband and I wanted to create a beautiful platform for our first Christmas Eve service as lead pastor. Rather than placing pillar candles simply on pedestals, I thought how nice if we had tree stumps. After searching the web, I found how I could create lightweight, yet realistic-looking "stumps" fairly inexpensively.



It was really quite lovely when the house lights were dimmed, the Christmas tree lights were turned on, and the candles were lit.  

I made a total of six varying sizes.  Although it was a fairly simple project--and very forgiving--it took me roughly a week to complete the project.  Here are some step-by-step instructions.

Materials needed:

* Concrete form tube
* Insul-foam sheet (approx. 1 1/2" thick)
* Great Stuff gap filler
* Box cutter
* Filet knife
* Pen
* Newspaper or paper towels 
* Papier mache 
* Brown spray paint (2 shades)
* Dark brown acrylic paint
* Several sponge brushes
* Paint can stir sticks
* Spanish moss
* Green spray paint (optional)
* Hot glue gun
* Brown Sharpie

I headed down to Home Depot and chose the 12" diameter form tube and one Insul-foam sheet.  I was able to create two "stumps" from one form tube and one foam sheet.   Since I didn't want my stumps to be the same height, I cut the tube off of center using the box cutter.  No need to be exactly straight along the top.  
Next, press the bottom of the tube into a corner of the foam sheet to leave an indentation of the circle.  You may also use a pen to trace along the inside of the tube.  Cut out the circle slightly inside the indentation using the filet knife.  This circle will be the top of the stump.

Now it is time to cut the base.  You may want to use your pen to sketch a rough shape.  Remember, stumps are not symmetrical and have roots.  Again, using the filet knife, cut out the base.  Use the knife to shave off the hard right edges to help it look for natural.

As seen in the above picture, press the tube into the center of the base.  You may want to use the box cutter to help create the indentation.  Press the tube into the foam as well as you can, preferable without going all the way through.  It does not need to be deep.

Out of the scraps of the foam sheet, make "roots" from a rough triangle shape having a 90 degree angle.     You may want to cut the hard edges off of these.  (See photo below.)

The purpose of my stumps was to hold candles--like a pedestal.  This is where the paint can stir sticks come in.!  They are the perfect size for the 12" diameter tube.  Using the box cutter, cut four slits approximately 2 inches down from the top, two slits directly across from one another.  Using a level may be helpful but I found eye-balling it worked well for what I wanted.  







As you can see from the above picture, now comes the fun part!  Take the Great Stuff gap filler and spray it where the tube and base come together and continue up the side of the tube.  This will be the bark!  Remember, bark is very natural--anything goes!  Be sure and go around the slits where the paint stir sticks exit the tube.  

The first stump I did was COVERED in the spray foam but doing that used more than an entire can.  I figured I would try leaving some gaps on the next one, which I actually ended up liking the end result better.  Adhere the side "roots" to the base and the tube by using the spray foam on the edges.  

Wait for the Great Stuff to dry.  It really doesn't take more than a few hours but I let it dry over night just to be sure.  

The next fun part is to papier mache!  I used the most economical version of papier mache--flour and water!  1 part flour to approximately 2 parts water.  Use a whisk  and get it nice and smooth, almost like pancake batter.  It's a bit messy so be sure and put something under the drips.  This step will definitely take overnight to completely dry.  I only used one layer.  


After the papier mache is dry, it's time to paint!  I spray painted a medium brown as the base color.  You may need two coats.  Then I used the darker spray paint to give definition in the indentations to give the look of shadows. Be careful to spray up and down.  No rhyme or reason necessary.  After these coats are dry, I used a sponge brush and used the dark acrylic paint to lightly brush up and down here and there so simply give a very natural look of varying shades.



Done!!!  

Actually, not so fast!!!  It was still missing something!  Ahhh….moss!  I headed down to the Dollar Tree and picked up a bag of spanish moss.  It was too grey for my liking and, since I needed it to show up at a distance on a platform when house lights were dimmed, I decided to spray paint the moss hunter green.  

By this point I was excited!  It had been a week long process and I was about ready to put the finishing touches on the north side of the stump!  Hot glue strips of the spanish moss in several of the indentations, along some of the roots and base, and at a couple places along the top.  

Oh!  One more detail!  What is a tree stump without tree rings?!  Use a brown sharpie and draw rings.  (I forgot to take a picture of this after I was done.  I guess I really was excited!)

Just add candles and VIOLA!

Here is the finished product!  Six of them!  My husband likes them so much he wants to keep one to be used as an end table in his rustic, outdoorsy-themed office.   Since the form is a solid tube, we will be able to stack these for storage in a closet and bring them out for various events.  I could see them being used for fall or winter-themed occasions, in addition to our Christmas Eve service.



I could so see some evergreen boughs around the base of these and even under the candles!  They served our purpose beautifully--to create a beautiful atmosphere to celebrate the birth of Christ.





No comments:

Post a Comment