Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Renew Your Mind

Romans 12:2  "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will."

Oh, how Christians must be set apart and not be molded by the world or culture! The culture can easily sway our convictions if we don't continually RENEW our minds. That means regularly choosing to walk that narrow path, otherwise we'll be easily taken down the broader, destructive road of the evils of this world.

As we renew our mind and continue to set it firmly on Him, we will then be able to test and approve (readily recognize) what His will is. If we are following the crowd, it will be much more difficult--if not impossible-- to know what His will is. I remember confronting a teenager about how she and her friends would only purchase one unlimited-ride bracelet to the carnival at our local fair. She and her friends had made the one bracelet large enough so they could take it on and off and share it, having paid only one unlimited-ride admission between all of them. Her reasoning was that she "wasn't convicted about it." My guess would be that she was not living a daily relationship with Christ, that she wasn't seeking Him and His direction, nor renewing her mind in His Word. I'm afraid that lack of conviction was because she had been listening to the crowd which led to being swayed in her convictions and taken down the broad road of manipulation, self-indulgence and sin.

It may be difficult to set aside a regular time to meet with the Lord but OUR WALK DEPENDS ON IT! I can SOOOO tell a difference in how I think and behave when I haven't been "connected" to the source of my power. It may seem odd--at least it does to me--but it affects my confidence as well. I seem to face life with more boldness and a knowledge that I am walking in HIS power, being led by HIS desires, instead of my own wishes which fall so far short of God's best.

Let me encourage those who struggle with quieting yourself before the Lord that once you are doing it, I believe you will sense a joy and change in your spirit and you'll begin to long for that time and the change it makes in your life. This is not to say that it will be easy. I tend to believe that anything worthwhile may be difficult or has great cost. Many things vie for our time and attention. I have found that I can face those very things with a better outlook, greater confidence, joy and peace knowing I've done my part in seeking after Him. When we allow every aspect of our lives to revolve around Him, the results are amazing! Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment